Question
Posted by: AD | 2007/05/04

Caffeine

Does MILO, HOT CHOCOLATE, HORLICKS, NESQUICK, etc contain caffeine?
What about Decaf Coffee ? is this totally Caffeine free.
The ingredients on most of these beverages only state cocoa, not caffeine. Does all cocoa contain caffeine?
- what about Milky bar chocolate?

Dear AD
This is a most interesting question. All drinks that contain cacao will contain some caffeine (so please check the Ingredients Lists of Milo and Horlicks, as I don't have the labels available at the moment - I doubt that they contain any cacao and they should thus also do not contain any caffeine, but rather make sure). Hot Chocolate does contain cacao (I just checked the label), so it will contain some caffeine. I am not sure about Nesquick. Decaffeinated coffee should be practically free of caffeine and the content, if any, should be listed on the label of the product. As regards the Milky Bar chocolate, check on the label to see if it contains cacao (which I doubt), and if it does, then it will contain some caffeine, but probably only minute quantities as it is mainly made of milk and sugar. Next time I am in a supermarket I will check these beverages as I am also interested to see if they contain cacao and caffeine and if decaffeinated coffee is 100% caffeine-free. Check your message in a day or so as I will place an additional answer once I have looked at these product labels under 'Diet Expert'.

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/28

Decafe coffee contains caffeine

Posted by: AD | 2007/05/08

THANKS A STACK.. this has been most helpful!!!!!

Reply to AD
Posted by: Diet Expert | 2007/05/06

Dear AD
I did check in the supermarket, and all these products contain cacao and therefore, also caffeine, except the Milky Bar chocolate. The latter only contains milk, sugar and cacao butter, which does not contain any caffeine. I also checked the label of the Decaff Coffee and no mention is made of caffeine content, so you would have to try it to see if it has a stimulating effect or not, but I think you can trust the manufacturers that it does not contain any caffeine.

Reply to Diet Expert