Question
Posted by: Nat | 2004/11/09

caesarian

Hi Doc,
My first baby was delivered by emergency C/S (due to the fetal heart rate during contractions). With my 2nd child- not sure as I'm confused : doctors from hospital are convinced the best way is to go for an elective caesarian, my JP really things it is better to try normal delivery.
Could you please tell me what would be the safest way?
I'm also worrying that with an elective caesarian, it would be down to the doctors to choose the birthday of the baby, but not left by nature and God to decide!?

The risks with a normal birth after a caesarean are a) that there is a small chance of the uterus rupturing ( about 0.5%) b) there is about a 40-50% chance of having another emergency caesarean during labour. The uterus seems to be less efficient after a caesarean. However, many women do have normal births after caesareans but need careful monitoring throughout the labour.
With an elective caesarean there are the risks of the anaesthetic and also the surgery. Elective caesareans are done before labour starts to avoid the complications of labour. Hence they are done between 38 and 39 weeks.