Posted by: Roxi | 2008/07/03

Cabbage soup diet

I do not have a huge problem with my weight and usually follow a healthy diet. I do 30 minutes of exercise 4-5 times per week.

However, I need to lose 5kg of weight and no matter how much I try I just can't seem to lose the weight. I am very discouraged.

I am thinking about following the cabbage soup diet for 7 days just to lose the weight. Thereafter I intend to follow a healthy diet. I saw the Sarie 10 day diet on your website and want to follow it.

Will it be okay if I follow the cabbage soup diet for 7 days? I know you don't endorse these kind of diets, but I do not intend following it for more than a week.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Dear Roxi
If you are not overweight (and it is possible that your BMI is already below 22?) then it is very difficult to lose any additional weight, esp as much as 5 kg. You are correct that I do not endorse any diets that are unbalanced or 'faddy', such as the cabbage soup diet. I believe that if your weight is normal or already tending to be low, that you should not force your body to try and lose more weight. By all means continue with your exercise and if necessary increase your schedule to every day and a longer period, but avoid starvation diets as this can lead to deficiencies, metabolic imbalances and result in your body resisting weight loss even more.
Take care