Question
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/21

C-section

HI,

I have a question on my miind which I would like to ask. When you go for a c-section, do they give you narcotics, epidural or what else?

The caesarean can be done either under general anaesthetic or spinal/epidural. You will generally have a choice in this. You will be given pain relief afterwards in the form of Morphine.

3
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/21

Thanks you guys. You really were a big help! This advice was for my friend. She wanted to know. I think you've helped her too.

Thanks again!
Have a nice day!

Reply to ciska
Posted by: Jay | 2004/01/21

I had an emergency c-section and they gave me a spinal block. It kicked in after about a minute or so and lasted about 7 hours. After that they gave us painkillers which really help and don't make you drowsy or anything so you can still look after baby. You'll also get a catheter and have the drip stay in for a few hours after the birth - it comes out when hey make you walk.

The pain can get a bit much but if you take the pills when you're given them the pain can be kept under control. It's really not that bad. I was going for natural birth because i was scared of the pain of a c-section and i survived. I am considering having my next baby by elective c-section next time round.
Hope this helps

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/21

They don't give you 'narcotics' as such. You will be offered a spinal block or epidural. Epidurals take longer to work and last longer, spinals are quicker and the effects wear off quicker. Most gynaes use spinal blocks these days. It means that you will regain the feelings in your legs soon after the op.

You will be given pain killers afterwards and more than likely be offered sleeping tablets, it is up to you whether you take them.

You will also be on an IV drip for the duration of the caeser.

Hope this helps!

Reply to Kate