Posted by: justjenny | 2008/09/15

buying parrot

we would like to buy a 6mth old female eclectus parrot. she has been in an avary since birth and raised by her parents. if we bought her (from a family friend) she would stay mainly in the house. we would like to tame her that she would have free range of the house. we are receiving all sorts of advise, some people say no, she' s to old, some people say yes, she' s at the perfect age. she would be my daughters " pet"  this is her dream bird. my daughter is a mature 14 year old and would be able to spend a lot of time with the parrot. we already have an african grey so are not inexperienced. we also have a very good avian vet in our town. also would it be better to get a male? i would appreciate any input.

Dear justjenny

If you have an avian vet in your area, I would book and appointmnet and have a chat to him.

Posted by: sparrowhawke | 2008/09/17

No parrot is untamable its all bout building the bond and earning the birds trust 6 months old is still tamable even a two year old bird is tamable but it takes time and a few nips trust is earned , male eclectus is slighty less agrresive than the female If u want it may be easer to buy a hand raised bird , I dont sell birds but I do know breeders , I just rehome parrots and parrekeets ,

Reply to sparrowhawke
Posted by: Carol | 2008/09/16

Has the bird not been handled at all ??? if so it could be difficult.

I would strongly suggest using good ol'  google for this one

Reply to Carol