Question
Posted by: Barbara Anne | 2006/04/07

Burnout

I strongly suspect that I have burnout. Would it be possible to seek help from an endocrinologist? And do I need my GP to refer me?

Well, you only mention your suspected diagnosis, not why you suspect this. IF you have "burnout" as a form of reaction to severe and chronic, usually job-related stress, then a shrink could and would help --- a psychiatrist or psychologist --- but no endocrinologist gets training in how to deal with such conditions, and burnout is not basically an endocrinological problem. I agree with GH here, that a GP may be sufficient. It's wise to have a general physical checkup, and be referred for counselling. CBT counselling would probably be best, identifying what about your job and your reactiosn to t has been productive of these symptoms, and revising both your job and your ways of responding to stress, so as to find the relief you seek.

2
Posted by: Cindy | 2006/04/07

Ask your GP to send you for a few blood tests including full blood count, glucose, thyroid and other tests he/she think is necessary. Then evaluate your lifestyle and stress-levels. Give attention to your eating habits and consider taking a good multivitamin. If you have any unsolved problems in your life, see a psychologist or councellor. Good luck.

Reply to Cindy
Posted by: GH | 2006/04/07

Hi Barbara Ann, it might not be necessary to visit an Endocrinologist if you suspect burnout, your local GP should be able to help you. You might benefit from a thorough checkup and some counselling. Taking time out for yourself, getting away if you can, having as must rest as possible can do wonders in our stressed out lives. Wishing you well

Reply to GH