Question
Posted by: Cindy Botha | 2008/07/11

Burning sensation, pain stomach rightsid

My mother is turning 70 years old on 24 July. A few months ago, she had a pain in her right side of her abdoman, I took her to a doctor, which referred me to a statehospital for further tests. He was worried that it might be colon cancer. The bloodtest and x-rays were done, and they told us that they cannot find anything wrong with her. About two weeks back, she woke up in the early hours of the morning with a burning pain from the right side of the abdoman going down in her right leg. Since then she's got a constant pain in the right side. She has a headache everyday, wakes up with it. She eats about five bites of food, and then says she had enough.
She is constantly tired, nog being her old self. Her stomach is very bloated, more than usual. Her stomach does not go very regurarly. She gets agrressive very quickly, please give me advice, I am very worried about her!!

Dear Cindy

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is very important that you make an appointment for your mother at a general surgeon, as she will have to undergo a gastroscopy and have an upper abdominal ultrasound done. There are many organs on the right side of the abdomen which need to be examined carefully, in order to make a proper diagnosis.

For the constipation, she can use Laxette syrup, twice daily, in combination with Movicol, twice daily.

Kind regards