Question
Posted by: burning on the outer edge of my foot | 2006/11/06

burning on the outer edge of my foot

I am experiencing alot of pain and burning on the outer edge of my foot, running from my small toe to my heel.
my small toe is also really sore and the whole area is quite red.
I have sprained and fractured the ankle of the same foot before.
what could be causing this and how do i fix it?

Expert ImageArchive

The burning sensation tends to suggest nerve damage / irritation however from the limited amount of information provided, I would suggest you consult a podiatrist / sports physician for an accurate diagnosis. An x-ray would also be recommended as something could have been missed.

Tight shoes (highheels, shoes laced too tight), biomechanical abnormalities (flat feet, pronation / supination), repeated heavy loading on front of feet (squash, soccer) are possible causes to be considered when consulting with the doctor.

Best wishes with your recovery.