Question
Posted by: Kim | 2007/03/06

Burning more calories standing

I read once that you burn 50% more calories just standing than you do siting. is this staement at all fesable? I'm a sales person and stand for 7 hours a day working.
It seems a bit sketchy to me, but what do you reckon?
Thanks!

Hi Kim

I doubt that it is true, though it may very well be. But the bigger question is whether it's at all relevant. I will give you an analogy to illustrate:

If I gave you R1 and then said I would double it, would you rather have that (a 100% increase), or would you rather have a 10% increase on R100? Obviously, you go with the 10%, because 10% of 100 is R10, as opposed to only R1. And the same principle applies here - let's say that sitting down, you use only 1Cal per min. If you stood, it would be 2Cal per minute, assuming that this statement was true. However, if you went for a 10 minute run, you would burn 15 Cal per minute, or a total of 150 Cal. That would give you far far more than trying to double it up by standing. You would probably have to stand for a good three or four hours a day, just to get close to a 10 minute run. So rather than hunting for tiny increases (even though they may be double what you could get sitting down), look for where you can find the biggest OVERALL increase (like the R10 vs R1 example), and consider doing regular exercise to burn calories.

Ross