Question
Posted by: KITTY | 2007/07/09

Burning fat vs perspiration

Hi there. Thanks 4 ur reply on my "tiredness" query. I'd like to know something else though. Is the amount of fat that one burns, during cardio exercise, in any way related to how much you sweat. Because I've got this picture in my head that the more you sweat, the more fat you burn. Which troubles me because at this time, because its so cold, when I do exercise, I hardly sweat at all, as opposed to sweating a lot more when I exercise in summer tme, when it's hot.??

Kit

HI Kitty

Not at all - sweating is a function of the environment, then of your exercise intensity. I suppose one could argue that burning fat is also dependent on exercise intensity, but the bigger influence is the environment. So a cool day with low humidity, and you'll hardly notice any sweat - it's still happening but it all evaporates. So you will sweat at a rate that is dependent on how hard you train, but you will only notice the sweat once it starts to drip off, and that is influenced 100% by the environment.

That's why indoors, or on summer days, you'll feel like you are sweating much more, it's only because it drips off, not because you actually sweat more, if that makes sense.