Posted by: Belinda | 2008/08/25

Burn wound - again

Hi doc

Me again. O.k - so I had the wound covered with a special plaster that came off in the shower after 24 hours. Not sure why it did not stay stuck - perhaps hand produce more oils than other body parts. I then put a thick layer of bactroban on and sterile gauze and bandaged it. But when I wanted to chnage the dressing the gauze stuck to the woung again and off came the skin. So I decided to just leave it open. The middle part which is the size of a R5 coin is the worst in that I can see that is the deepest part. The skin on my hand is very tight and pulls and my pointer finger hurts if I do a wagging movement with it. I dont have pain apart from that and if I hang my hand down it aches very much and of course as expected it is tender to touch.

Basically I want to know whether this is all normal and part of the healing process. I dont think there is any infection at all.

Thank you yet again for the time.

Hi Belinda
I think you should just let your GP have a look - it sounds to me as if it quite deep and big - I am just worried that it won't be able to grow closed from the sides and may need a skin transplant. If you put gauze and Bactroban on, let your hand lie in lukewarm water for a while before trying to remove the gauze, so that it softens first.

Posted by: Friend | 2008/08/27

Ag man, I really feel sorry for you. Will pray for you.
Get better soon.

Reply to Friend
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/08/26

Hi Friend

I did put the parafine gauze on - but it dried overnight. i have left it open since sunday afternoon and it has formed a skin/scab again. I keep it clean and put bactroban on 3 times a day. Out of medical savings and was just at the doc 3 days before the accident setting me back R711, so now I have to either go to hospital or get ebtter by myself.

Reply to Belinda
Posted by: Friend | 2008/08/26

Sorry to be a wise nose again, but that is why I told you to put the parafine gauze on the wound, after the ointment. If you put dry gauze on it, you are going to pull the skin off every time you change the dressing.

With the parafine gauze it prevents the new skin that grows to be pulled off.

Trust that you get better soon.

Reply to Friend