Question
Posted by: Dean | 2003/12/10

Burn Victim

My 11 year old niece has suffered 25% burns.
She is now in hospital for 3 weeks ,but no thought has been given to her state of mind. On the surface she sems fine, but I would have expected her to also receive counciling as well in the hospital.

What is you opinion

Dear Dean,
Ideally, you are absolutely right --- such an experience will have been frightening and painful, and counselling could well help. Sometimes the staff who may be very competnet at treating the burns may not be quite so sensitive a treating the girl behind the burns ; or they may have chosen to provide normal supportive encouragement, and to call in a shrink or counsellor only if they see specific signs of significant distress.