Question
Posted by: Judy | 2004/01/12

Burn out please help

Over December i didnt really get to rest and also didnt follow such a healthy diet. Come January i decided to get in shape. I bought a callanetics video, did the the whole 75 minute workout. after that i started feeling disorientated and very fatigued. I thimk that my body was tired and that i just knocked my system out with the exercise video as i am not one of the fittest. I am 30 year old. My bloodpressure is a bit high, ive been to the doctor, she said im too stressed. Now i stay so tired. any suggestions as to what foods will be good for energy as well as the blood pressure???

Dear Judy
It is always dangerous to start exercising strenuously for such long periods if you have never done so before and if you are unfit. Rome was not built in a day! If you have blood pressure problems then it is also essential that you have a medical checkup BEFORE you start exercising and that the dr approves the type of exercise you will be doing. In your case, walking may be a better option - discuss this with the dr. The DASH DIET (click on Disease Centres on the Health24 Website and then on 'Hypertension' for a copy of the DASH DIET) can help to lower your bp so do give it a try. You also need to get that stress under control - try doing yoga under the guidance of a teacher and deep breathing exercises to unwind. If these treatments don't work then you may need to consult a clinical psychologist to teach you how to cope with stress.
Take care