Question
Posted by: Lastminute | 2004/12/03

Burger/Sanlam 70km

Dear FitnessDoc

I've entered for the B/S 70 km, but I haven't really done any preparation for it. For the last two weeks I've been spending some time on the stationary bike, 40 minutes at heartrate 150-160 and I seem to manage that ok. Yesterday I survived a strength training spinning class. My stamina is ok, but I'm not fit. Is it sensible to still do the 70 km, or should I rather downgrade to the short race? Earlier this year, I completed the 55 km Club Mykonos ride without having been on the bicycle at all. Although I did suffer a bit. I'm entered for the Argus, and wanted to do the 70 km as a practise run...

I'm a 33 yo female of that helps any.

Thanks!

Hi Lastminute

I think that you can do it, provided you can go in with lowered expectations. This might mean that you have to back a few groups down - there can be nothing worse than being dropped off from your seeding group early on in a ride and having to slog the rest of the way on your own or in a very small group. The thing about cycling is that you can afford to ride above your training distance. As you have then experienced, you can do a ride of about 55 km on no training, and so you can do a 70 km ride on very little training. It might take some suffering and patience and a lot of self control, because you can't just launch into it like normal, but if you can control your eagerness, then you can certainly go for it!