Question
Posted by: BeeBee | 2012/04/19

Bupropion vs. Paxil

Hi there,

Please could you advise me if I can switch from Paxil to Bupropion? I read that the two are in a different class... will it make a big difference in treating depression?

Paxil is effectling my libido and weight gain.

Thank you kindly

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi B

Clinicians have been using bupropion as a favored agent to switch to when an SSRI fails. Bupropion has a low risk of sexual side effects, and it is also used as an antidote to treat the sexual side effects of SSRIs. Another significant advantage to the use of bupropion is the reduced risk of weight gain.

In short: The switch can be done and is often made use of.

One possible complication of changing from one antidepressant to another is discontinuation syndrome. This syndrome is most common in switching from an SSRI (e.g. paxil) to bupropion, since bupropion appears to inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine but is only a weak inhibitor of serotonin reuptake. To avoid discontinuation syndrome, your doctor will have to taper tour SSRI dose while starting you on bupropion.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/04/20

Hi B

Reply to pharmacist