Question
Posted by: Gargoyle | 2007/08/16

Bunny Rabbits

Hi there!

How does one take care of tiny motherless rabbits? My bf and I picked up two baby rabbits yesterday, their mother is nowhere to be seen, and we're afraid they'll be eaten by our dogs or frozen to death by the cold front.
They can barely walk straight and their eyes aren't even properly open yet.
What can we do to make sure they become healthy? Do they drink milk?
I've tried to feed them pronutro,milk,lettuce - even special K cereal just to get their tummies full, but to no prevail. We have rabbit food, but they don't seem even remotely interested. I'm just afraid the poor things won't see a good life, and it has just started!!

Any help will do!
Thanks!

Please call the xotic animal clinica at Onderstepoort and ask them for advice. Call 012-5298000 and ask for the Exotics clinic please.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/16

Sorry, just remembered something else: I've raised baby squirrels on a mixture of half evaporated milk (ideal milk) and half water - given with a doll's feeding bottle with a rubber teat. You will have to check that the teat has a hole in it! Feeding sets for baby animals are sometimes available at pet shops.

Still talk to the vet, but at least try this in the meantime. Note: cow's milk is going to be inadequate too.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/16

I would assume that baby bunnies have to have baby bunny milk - no idea if the milk that's available for kittens and puppies would work - I quite agree, stop with the Special K and talk to the vet, rather. Failing them, give the SPCA a call - they should be able to advise you.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/16

I have tried to raise bunnies with no joy , it was years ago tho .... phone your vet and ask him. They wont survive long without proper food.

Reply to Carol