Question
Posted by: Molly | 2004/02/04

Bunnion operation

I had a bunnion operation two months ago so my running has come to an abrupt halt. I started walking on the beach with a little bit of jogging in between (5 min arobic walking and 5 min slow jog) with hardly any discomfort. I feel no pain in my feet but they do still get a bit swollen during the day. My friend thinks that I am crazy because I could be doing long term harm. What are your thoughts ?

Hi Molly

I have to be honest and admit that the topic of bunions is not one I am very clued up on - I can say with relative certainty that a bunion operation is not one that is likely to go very wrong or have long term consequences though. Even more revealing is that there is no pain during activity - if there were, it would be a warning sign, but I think that exercise without pain is fine for you to do. However, the medical issue is not one I am qualified to comment on, so as far as bunions goes, a doctor is the person you would need to see.