Question
Posted by: t | 2004/11/05

bunion worries

I have a bunion on my toe which is getting more and more painful and the skin is often red. I have been to two doctors, the first said that I'll have to wear big shoes or slops and the second said I should by health shoes (no heels) as he strongly advises against the operation. The problem is, I am young and active and it is really getting in my way. I battle at aerobic classes and even walking barefoot on the beach ends up being painful. I know I have seen worse bunions than mine but if I go have the op early would it not be better than waiting until the situation is really bad. My gp also said that you may not ever fully recover from the op and a lot of people suffer more after the op. Could this be true?

T, a bunion is usually associated with a bony deviation/abnormality under the skin, so in a young person the operation would probably be a good idea as I doubt that it will clear up by itself. The best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon and get his opinion. Good luck.