Question
Posted by: cilla | 2003/02/04

Bunion? on outside of foot

I have s sore inflamed swelling next to my small toe (right foot). Can you only get bunions on the large toe side? If so, what could this be? I have had it for about two weeks.

Cilla, a bunion is a “hard cushion” that forms due to an abnormality of the foot bone of the big toe and that the leads to outward displacement of the big toe. A corn is a hard thickening of the skin due to friction and pressure on the skin. It forms a "cone" that presses into the skin that causes pain. I suppose the fastest way to get rid of them is to have them enucleated by a podiatrist. If they return, you will have to see an orthopaedic surgeon so that he can correct the underlying bone problem. Hopes this helps clear it up for you. Good luck.