Question
Posted by: sharky | 2006/11/06

bump on penis

Hi doc
I have developed a bump under my skin just before the head of my penis.It has no different colour to it,nor is it painful .The closest discription would be a varicous vein protruding slightly or possibly a torn muscle.I am quite a sexually active person and am worried that it will get worse if not seen to.Do you have any advice on what it could be and what I should do?

The penis... a complicated and complicating organ if ever there was one! Primary care providers and urologists spend time taking seriously young men's concerns similar to yours. A physical exam is often torture during the anticipation, but a huge relief after.

Medical providers stress that unusual bumps (in repose or otherwise) are usually caused by trauma (injury), are normal, or are growths, in that order.

It is most likely that the bumps you are describing are sebaceous glands of hair follicles on the scrotum and lower penile shaft. They are normal and harmless. You'll most likely see hair growing from them (if not now, then soon!). And yes, hair can grow on the shaft of the penis, though most often just near the base.

Keep in mind, too, that penile skin is not much like other skin. It is often bumpy, lumpy, and uneven, especially on the shaft. A deflated penis can look especially bumpy, but will look less so when filled and expanded. If bumps are numerous, tiny, and don't change over time, they probably represent your normal penile skin landscape.

However, bumps or lumps that are few in number, seem to have a timely connection to an active sex life, or that grow in size may represent warts (condyloma), usually caused by a strain of human papillomavirus (HPV). These warts need medical attention, biopsy, or removal. One nifty thing a medical provider, or you, may do is to apply some diluted, mild vinegar solution to the warty tissue of your penis to "bring out" or accentuate the warts.

The most common cause to changes in genital skin is injury. Let's face it, a penis can take a beating, and it is neither surprising nor unusual for bruises, nicks, bites, abrasions, or bumps to appear after close or vigorous contacts of all kinds. The head and shaft often show the effects of such a workout, and rest, soap and water, and occasionally mild antibacterial ointment are reasonable treatments. Most minor damage goes away quickly, and lubrication by itself or with a condom will help prevent future skin irritation or damage from overly enthusiastic masturbation or sex.

If you have something growing or notice something unusual or new on your penis, you need to have it checked out. If it just looks weird and always has, it's probably okay. And, if you're spanking the monkey too hard, try petting him!

1
Posted by: Logic | 2006/11/06

Go see a doc or your local clinic dude - this is quiet serious!

Reply to Logic