Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/24

Bullying uncle

Hi there. My family has a major problem. There are 3 kids in the family all with their own kids. The youngest however is the favourite, and is able to manipulate our gran to no end. When our grandpa died, he didn' t allow anyone to see the will etc, and got her to built a flat on his property with her money. She has stayed there for the last 20 years or so. Recently, he moved to Cape Town and sold the house. She does not know that he is now renting her flat for her from the new owner. He doesn' t have the money to continue supporting her, but she is not aware of this.

She has recently been admitted to hospital and is going to need care after discharge. He has said he wants to take her to Cape Town, but the rest of the family don' t want her to go. It would be better to stay in Durban with all her friends and the rest of her family...but he is adamant that she must move. THis may sound like a great gesture from his side, but he is a serial bully and we know it' s to take over her finances.

How do we stop a person like this bullying his older brother and sister and convince gran that it is for her own good to stay where she is?? How do we approach this bullying uncle and his family?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Check with a lawyer, I think it is required that all wills must be publically available at some stage, and if they can check and find this one was not carried out properly, the executor who did this wrongly could be in serious trouble.
And I think anyone such as the person's children, with a reasonable claim to have a proper interest in the will's contents, I think ought to be allowed to read it. If this was 20 years ago, you could probably still check usefully.
Is she mentally competent to handle all this ? IF possibly not, consult a good lawyer, as it may be necessary to have a court appoint a trustee to act on her behalf, and look into what has happened. I don't understand, if the flat was on HER land, how he could have sold it at all.
I doubt that the law will allow one person, like your uncle, to make all these decisions for her, simply because he wants to do so

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/24

theres only ONE way to stop a bully. kick him in the head HARD when his not looking.... i mean really HARD....brain damage HARD....and your problems will be solved.

Reply to Anonymous

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.