Posted by: YR | 2008/08/29

Bullterrier getting too thin

We purchased our bullterrier male from people who did not take care of their animals. As a pup he had " brandsiekte"  and we had the condition treated by our vet. Now after a year, he is becomming very thin and lost so much weight. We had the dogs on a deworming course (recommeded by our vet) and changed their food. Only in the mornings he gobbles down his food, but at night there is usually food left over. We feed him twice a day, and the portions of pallets that we give him is according to his weight and size. Any advise?

Dear YR

Take him to the vet. If you are not feeling well and you post the question to a doctor 'What disease do you think I have? I dont feel well' what response do you expect? Maybe something like 'go to the shrink straight away, please get someone to drive you- do not attemt this yourself!'

Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/29

Dear CyberVet

You seem comfortable with considering people to be mentally incompetent, and addressing them as such. In fact, this is offensive, and unamusing.

I invite you to ignore questions you feel to be not worth dignifying with a useful answer - I' ll pick them up and see if I can help.

To YR:

You don' t say what brand of dog food you' re using.

Also: the guide on the packaging is only that - a guide. If my dog were to eat as many cups of food as they tell me is appropriate for a dog her size, she' d be hugely overweight (even assuming she COULD eat that much). In fact, she gets around a third of what they recommend, and she' s the picture of health and energy. So don' t take the quantities they tell you as gospel. Let the dog eat what he wants, and watch his weight.

Having said all that: there are various other possibilities, which you should discuss with your vet. What I would recommend is that you get a product called Protexin from the vet - it' s a powder, you sprinkle a small amount on their food, and it' s a probiotic - some dogs don' t have the required bacteria in their gut which they need to be able to access all the nutrients in their food, especially if they' ve been on some antibiotics. Protexin will help with that - it' s pretty good.

Reply to Chill