Question
Posted by: lovebug | 2008/07/23

bulimic please help

Hi there, im home with my parents, no support what so ever and am suffering from bulimia.Its year 6 and I dont even know ho to eat normal anymore.My anxiety gets so bad if I dont binge or throw up I literally feel im going to climb the wall.Im trying really hard to just be normal but I dont quite know how or where to start.Can you give me some advice, and is what im doing on my own even possible because it doesnt feel like it.

Hi lb ! Bulimia can be a bit of a struggle to gain control of, but well worth the effort. Parents sometimes, even if they really care, find it difficult to understand both whatever you're going throuhg, and how to be as helpful as they would like to be. But you truly deserve to get proper expert help from a good local psychiatrist, for a thporough assessment and advice on how best to manage this, which may include some medication adn some counselling, probably of the CBT form. Talk calmly with your parents about how you want and need expert help to deal with this, and as for them to arrange a referral to a good local shrink. If they're not acting on this, speak to someone senior at school about this need, and maybe to the family doctor, if your family has one. With the proper help you can get over this and live a much happier and stronger life