Question
Posted by: Sonia | 2008/07/31

Bulimia - when all else fails

I am overweight, have a chronic illness, unmarried, single mother! Obviously this stresses me, I have tried everything on the market to loose weight but nothing is working and time is against me!

I had a very big lunch yesterday and i went to the toilet and i threw up, today after eating - i went to the toilet and grossed myself up - i feel so good. I can see where this is going, but sadly, I feel happy about it!!!

Sadly, at first it may feel satisfying, as it gives you the illusion of gaining control over a situation in which you felt helpless to control any of it. But it doesn't work, and will in the end only add another problem to those already troubling you. Worse than any of the diets, though similarly you will see some encouraging early results, but more dangerous if you keep it up. Only a balanced diet and exercise plan ever actually helps you to lose weight that stays lost. ANd of course if you felt miserable about every diet you tried, and responded by over-eating, in fact you probably didnt actually try any of the diets properly, giving them no chance to work. Because you start with a conviction that they won't work.
See a good psychologist doing CBT and work on a plan to regain actuyal control of the process, and regain belief in your ability to stick to a diet and exercise plan, and maintain weight loss.
And your later comment shows that you are still deluding yourself--- you're so sure you will stop after losing X kilos ? No you won't, it'll hav e got a grip on you by then and you won't stop in time. Your description shows that you are already forming conditioned reflexes to feel nauseated and vomit after eating --- that will be a hard habit to break, quite soon. Get the proper help you need

10
Posted by: ANON | 2008/09/04

DONT GO THERE. THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NOT EVEN SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING HELP MAKES ME MAD. 10 YEARS AGO I STARTED BULIMIA AS A JOKE, TO SEE IF WE COULD THROW OUR FOOD UP. TODAY I CANNOT QUIT!!

EVERY SINGLE DAY IS A BATTLE
WANT TO KNOW THE SIDE EFFECTS FROM A BULIMIC?
1) YOUR ALWAYS TIRED
2) YOU ARE ALWAYS MOODY AND WILL TAKE IT OUT ON YOUR FAMILY/FRIENDS-YOUR CHILD
3) YOU FEAR DEATH BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU WILL GO THERE FASTER THAN ANY HEALTHY PERSON
4) TRY HAVING STOMACHE CRAMPS EVERY DAY
5) EVEN IF YOU HAVE A STUNNING BODY, YOU WILL ALWAYS FEEL UGLY (I DONT HAVE A STUNNING BODY BUT DO HAVE A NICE ONE, AND TRUST ME I CANNOT GET IN A COSTUME, I ALWAYS FEEL UGLY.
6) MY TEETH ARE BROWN AND CRACKED
7) GLANDS ALWAYS SORE
8) WEEKEND HEART MUSCLE.
9) YOU LOSE YOUR FRIENDS DUE TO YOUR MOODS, AND YOU END UP NOT CARING
10) YOUR MUSCLE IS TORN DOWN, IE: YOU LOSE MORE MUSCLE THAN YOU LOSE FAT SO YOU WILL END UP BEING WEAKER
11) I HAVE A BACK PROBLEM - MY LOWER DISK HAS MOVED OUT AND APPARENTLY THAT ONLY HAPPENS TO PEOPLE IN THEIR FOURTIES OR OLDER. AND IM ONLY 26!!!
12) STOMACHE ULCERS
13) HEART PROBLEMS
14) AND THE LIST GOES ON ...

SO ENJOY YOUR FUTURE IF YOU TAKE THIS ROUTE, TRUST ME YOU WILL RUIN YOUR CHILDS LIFE AND ALL THOSE AROUND YOU, NOT JUST YOURS. ITS THE WORSE DISISCION OF MY LIFE AND I WISH I COULD GO BACK.

P.S I WOULD HAVE BEEN A PROFESSIONAL CYCLIST BUT BECAUSE OF THIS, MY DREAM HAS BEEN LOST. I NOW HATE CYCLING BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I MESSED UP MY LIFE.

SO I BEG YOU IF NOT FOR YOURSELF DONT GO THIS ROUTE. ITS DISGUSTING AND YOU WILL HATE AND I MEAN HATE YOUR SELF IN THE END.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: gee whizz | 2008/08/01

instead of throwing up why dont you just cut down on your eating- how hard can that be.

Reply to gee whizz
Posted by: Concerned mom | 2008/08/01

Sonia, this is seriouss, my daughter had bulimia at 15yrs of age. Please dont resort to this way of losing weight. I had to sit with her for an hour after a " meal" , barely managing to eat and crying in pain because her tummy refused to hold the food in and I cried with her. She ended up in a hospital under a strict regiment and today, is suffering all kinds of mental and physical disorders. Dont delude yourself, see bulimia as you would, illegal substance abuse, just dont go there! Best of luck

Reply to Concerned mom
Posted by: Sonia | 2008/08/01

Thanks guys but for the first time in my life i can resist food - i have never ever been able to do that. At the momemont thinking about food just makes me feel billious. I am very, very desperate, that is my problem

Reply to Sonia
Posted by: Just m | 2008/08/01

Sonia,

seriously, what is wrong with you?

This forum is intended for people seeking help with emosional and/or mental problems. The people who post here are willing to open themselves to suggestions and to (hopefully) apply the suggestions relevant to them. However, you just posted a comment to see what the reaction would be. You know that what you are doing is wrong, but you don' t like people telling you what you already know. It seems to me as if you are trying to convince yourself that you have the upper hand and nothing anyone says will change the idialistic picture which you are trying to create.

It WILL consume you. Stop now.

Reply to Just m
Posted by: Sonia | 2008/07/31

i' ve heard of all the side effects, I rinse my mouth quickly after throwing up - to prevent my teeth from rotting and after i' ve lost 10kg' s or so, i will stop. I feel sick after finishing to eat, so it' s not as if i put my finger down my throat - all that i have to do is to go to the loo after eating and the smell of the toilet just triggers everthing.

Reply to Sonia
Posted by: JJH | 2008/07/31

Sonia,

Please stop it immediatly! My girlfriend has bulimia and it is terrible! It is not something you want to do to yourself or to the people you love! Rather go see and speak to someone proffesionally before it is too late! Hope you cabn beat it before it starts beating you!

Good luck!

Reply to JJH
Posted by: Lin | 2008/07/31

Imagine your teeth rotting and your hair falling out. This is what' s going to happen if you go on. You are only beginning, so you' re still able to stop. Don' t go onto a " diet" . Try in stead to eat healthy. The Low G.I. Diet is the best way to go, because you can still eat everything, just ess of this and more of that. There' s even certain chocolates that you can eat and baby potatoes, ect.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Sonia | 2008/07/31

thanks, i have tried being on different diets, but because of my stress levels, i just find myself overeating and it depresses me and then i eat even further... it' s a vicious cycle

Reply to Sonia

Don' t even start this - it is going to work wonders in the beginning and you will lose weight, but for one it is unhealthy, and as with any other diet, you learn to cheat. You will end up overeating, and throwing up, then be hungry and eating again, and throwing up and this will go on and on. I know - I did it. You mention that you are a single mother - you need to be healthy for your child. There are ways of losing weight, you just need to find one that will work for you. All these quick fix and starvation diets does not work. You need to find a balanced diet plan and exercise plan and be prepared to accept that this will be a long term project, and will not be resolved in a month or two. Join a group where there are people you can talk to, that always works. Hope this helps.