Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2005/11/21

Bulimia Nervosa

hi. i am a female student from a medium/wealthy, high achievement home. i suffer from anxiety and in adition i used to dance (this is probably where the roots of problem come from). As you would, or should know, also having a low impulse control, i fit the category for one falling prone to Bulimia Nervosa quite perfectly.

At first it started only when i felt 'guilty' about eating too much.. then it gradualy creeps up on you and before you know it, every time you are anxious, stressed, low in self confidence or bored you are binging. Freud would agree that the mouth does provide us with comfort. Only this is merely tempory satisfaction. In addition, it does not help to live in a society so image-orientated and superficial.

I am futhermore completely ashamed of myself; "Poor little anxious rich girl stuffing her face when others are starving on the streets." Its disgusting. Thats why i have not told anyone about my problem and have not looked for help.. despite me knowing that one who has this psychological problem must seek help from a psychologist.

I know that Bulimia increases ones 'depression' and anxiety. I know that this will have future health repurcussions.I know that it willl not in the long term make me thinner. I know that it will and does affect my university work..
I dont want this irritating, stupid and self-pittying disorder looming in my mind anymore. There is so much more that i could be doing with my energy. I could be doing constructive and positive activities... yet this shamefull disorder ALWAYS manages to pull me back down. This is why i have not told my parents despite them being extremely loving and supportive, it would just be imbarrasing to tell them.

Besides seeking professional help (because i dont know what excuse i will use to get my parents to take me), what advice can you offer????

Hello An,
Yes, it's interesting how many people associated with dance and ballet tend to have an increased risk of eating disorders --- something which i think actually ANY dance school or trainer ought to be far more aware of.
You recognize the unpleasant potential of your problems which are developing, and you know that you need good professional help. Why to you need to make an excuse to your parents ? You could simply tell them that in a number of ways you are feeling unwell and unhappy, and that you are sure you need to see a good local psychiatrist for an assessment and some advice --- and press ahead. You deserve it.
You don't need to feel embarrassed, this is no reflection on you and your character nor on your parents, and nothing to be ashamed of. Like any disorder, it is a misfortune --- it is only neglecting to get the help one needs that may deserve a little guilt

1
Posted by: nel | 2005/11/21

I was binging for about a year when I decide to stop. Not only is it bad for your health but it hurts like hel! Your throat becomes raw and your tummy muscles hurt.

Eventually I started to become nausious when I only thought of food, especially meat. I now mostly eat veggies only.

To make a long story short, I 10kg's under weight and look sickening.

Unfortunately I don't have any advise on not telling your parents and needing profesional help. But I just want to tell you that you've taken the first step and from here on things will start getting better.

(Maybe what you can do is ask your mother to take you to a dietician and by that way you can sort out your diet..?)

Good Luck!!!

Reply to nel