Question
Posted by: Fae | 2005/01/12

Bulimia nervosa

I have been doing some research on the Internet regarding Bulimia nervosa. I have been suffering with this for the last +- 3 years. I am 24 years of age, I am not or have ever been overweight and have always been a very active person. It started when my father passed away almost 3 years ago. After his death, every time I ate something, be it the smallest amount I would just get nauseous and throw up. I have never used the 'hand down throat' procedure to make myself sick, it just comes out. I used to think that it was maybe because I was a depressed in the stage of his death that I was just feeling and getting sick, but it is still a continuing habit in my life to this day. Every time I still eat, it's just a natural thing for it to come up.

As mentioned, I don't suffer from being overweight, I have always been a slim person and therefore I have no need to be throwing up like this, I'm just not sure why it happens. This is the first time that I am actually seeking treatment / advice for this and this is not something that I would want my family or friends to know about, I want to do this by myself.

I'm not on a Medical Aid and can not really afford a therapist as I have just moved back to SA after being in overseas for 2 years, so my salary is not the best at this point.

Is it possible to provide any information for me regarding receiving treatment or advice?

I look forward to your reply and thank you for your time in reading my message.

Kind regards.

Fae, the first step to recovery is to realise that there is a problem. You know this, so half the battle has been won already. The problem is that we’re not 100% sure that there isn’t an underlying problem causing you to throw up. The best would be to see your doctor and have him make sure that nothing else is the matter. from there it is a matter of training your body to not throw up the food after having had a meal. The easiest would be to eat small meals throughout the day and to then slowly increase the amounts and decrease the frequency until you can have at least two meals a day without throwing them up. The secret to success is to take your time and not to try and do too much too soon. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Julie | 2005/01/12

My daughter suffered with the same problem. I think you could try phoning your nearest University, and ask for student council, they have very good group meetings, where you will meet people with the same problem, and be able to discuss them together. i found it helped her, being able to share her feelings, you do not have to be a student to attend these meetings. I wish you the best, because i really know what you must be going through.

Reply to Julie
Posted by: Mmm | 2005/01/12

Well done to admitting you have a problem...esp being a woman Belimia can be such a serious problem for your health later on as one only sees the bad effects later on...

I do think you need to see a counsilor (christian - wont have to pay for starters) to get to the bottom of why you are doing this terrible thing to your self! And take one day at a time slowery recovering...

I hope you get better soon - it will properly be a long road but this is the start of a new year a new you and new health which will help you and your future :)

BE STRONG AND DONT GIVE IN _ GET BETTER

Reply to Mmm