Question
Posted by: Confused | 2003/03/06

Bulimia during pregnancy

I had bulimia on and off for 12 years. I am 34 weeks pregnant now and made myself throw up a couple of times. I've quit again a month ago out of concern for my child. But, I've done it about 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I really hate myself for doing it. It is as though my brain shuts down for that couple of minutes. Before and afterwards my brain is flooded with thoughts of guilt, fear, memories etc. I am really confused and afraid. I am scared for my child and can't stop crying some days. And I want to stop completely. Right now it is the fear that I've hurt her that is eating me up. Every day I vow not to eat too much. I feel like a complete failure. Will my baby be alright? Can I go on as from today with peace in my heart? Or must I believe that I am a failure. What could have gone wrong by now? I cannot admit this to my husband or anyone near. I did before and the results was not good at all. I know I can stop. Pleace give me some peace of mind.

It sounds like you have quite significant feelings of distress. I would suggest that you consult a psychiatrist as bulimia is really a psychological condition. You have a will to stop and, with a little help, you may be able to do so.

2
Posted by: ice | 2003/03/07

Dear Confused

You really need to be in control at a time when someone else is counting on you. I think that you need to get some help. You need to establish why you are doing this to yourself.

I am sure you would love to be in control and be able to take care of your precious baby, but you need to take the necessary steps to do so...you are going to be a mommy, do you really want to have this problem once your child is in this world looking up to you? Do it for yourself, for your child and your family. YOU CAN DO IT, you can get over this!!! Be strong and get help. Don't give up, those few minutes of eating and purging are not worth a lifetime of unhappiness.
Good Luck and be the mommy you want to be!!

Reply to ice
Posted by: Star | 2003/03/06

Confused,
U are about to be a mommy start acting like one!When u deprive your body of nutrients remember that the baby is also deprived.Condition yourself properly and think about this baby u are carrying,and all the weight worries u will see once the baby is born.For now i would also suggest u speak to someone who can help u either a shrink or your husband or a friend for that matter.Take responsibility of that baby, it did not ask to be in your body so don't make it suffer.

Reply to Star