Question
Posted by: M | 2005/12/05

Bulimia Battle<br>

Hi, I've been suffering with bulimia for 15 years!! It really is time to stop. The mind is just such a powerfull thing! Is anyone suffering from it? Or has anyone successfully overcome this desease? Would love to have someone to chat to and build up a support system to beat this thing.

It's a common condition, actually, and can respond very well to treatment --- especially in someone like yourself who has had the good sense to recognize that it is time to stop. You need, though, to have the right sort of expert help ; so arange to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options.
Your own efort will be cirucially important in recovering, but you shouldn't try to do it alone. and as you see, we have numerous readers who have overcome similar problems

6
Posted by: Jane(1) | 2005/12/06

No, still suffering. Some days are good, others not. You know the drill.

Reply to Jane(1)
Posted by: M | 2005/12/06

Hi Jane,

Are you still suffering, or have you recovered?

Reply to M
Posted by: Jane(1) | 2005/12/05

I have to stick my hand up to this one as well. Ashamed to admit to it as I know better, but the big B is a terrible demon to fight.

Reply to Jane(1)
Posted by: M | 2005/12/05

Thanx Twink and Lee, i'm feeling very positive about beating this thing, and will take it one day at a time, i'm so tired of it all. I was fat as a child, and use to get teased alot, so i have such a fear of getting fat, but have to learn to accept my body as it is. Today is my second day of not making myself sick, so fingers crossed i'm on the road to recovery! I have admitted my problem to my husband, and he is being very supportive, which helps alot.

My main problem is at night after a big dinner, so i'll cut down to something small and healthy so that i dont feel so guilty about eating.

Thanx for the support!

Reply to M
Posted by: Lee | 2005/12/05

Yes, suffered from both bulimia & anorexia for 6-8 year, now a 100% recovered from both and happy and healthy. I still am careful about what I eat and do not allow myself to get overweight, but I eat anything, never deprive myself of what I feel like eating, and never binge/starve. All I can say is recovery means committing yourself to stopping the cycle, making a promise to yourself not to abuse your body andymore, and perservere. I look back in amazement at how miserable it all was. Don't give up, if I could do it, so can you.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: twink | 2005/12/05

suffered for 5 years, the suffered with anorexia. overcoming it, but still struggle everyday. it's the worst disease, takes over your mind, body and soul.

but i'm here if you want a friend. someone to talk to. trust me, no-one will know what you're going through unless they've been there.

Reply to twink