Question
Posted by: JR | 2007/04/17

Bulimia

My friend atmitt that she was bulimic. Because she recognise the dangers and symptoms already visible in her body she assured me that she working very hard and she has all under control. Because we are very close and also staying together I can keep an eye on her. How should my behavior be to be of help to her?Should I accompany her to the restroom everytime to make sure she doesn't purge? Should I keep record of what she eat? What must I do if she doesn't eat all day. I want to show her I trust her BUT can I?

People with eating disorders like Bulimia, lose control of their attempts to stay in control of things. SHe cannot possibly cure herself, but needs proper treatment from a suitably experienced psychiatrist --- so encourage her to see the right expert and to follow that expert's advice. Though of coruse the person's own work within the treatment is vitally important, there's no more room for Do-It-Yourself treatment of Eating Disorders than for do-it-yourself surgery for appendicitis/

1
Posted by: rose | 2007/04/17

hi JR
thanks for getting back to let us know. i was especially worried about her, as i had this in my past.

from experience....no, you cant really trust her re this. bulimics are quite clever. but dont judge her on this, it is absolutely nothing personal.

this is also not something that can go away doesnt matter how you often check up or how good friend you are.

need to get her to that counselling...she cant have it under control if the problem IS controlling food...remember bulimics and anorexics all usually know what they are doing to themselves without anyone telling them or questioning them. that's why they 'do' it in secret, coz they know what they're doing is 'wrong'.

the issue here is to let go of the control she has over food/excersize etc.. and only professional help can help her do this, as there are issues to sort out and perhaps even issues she's not aware of. psychiatrists know what to do to even raise issues we are not aware of as result of denying/suppressing.

all of the best! - you're a good friend.

Reply to rose