Question
Posted by: lala | 2004/11/07

Bulimia

I suffer from bulimia for almost 14 years. I was at a number of places and people for help but nobody could help me.Offcourse I said that I recovered from it just to get away, after a realy long time there.What I whant to know is, what is the health risk at this stage.am I going to die of bulimia at the end? What happen with my body? How does my body look in the inside at this moment. By the why, I was only 13 years when this started.

Dear Lala
If you have been bulimic for 14 years, your teeth must be in a bad state because of exposure to stomach acid. I would also not be surprised if your oesophagus and the membranes lining your mouth and your tongue are badly scarred by repeated exposure to stomach acid. Your are probably also suffering from a variety of vitamin and mineral deficiencies which will gradually have serious effects, e.g. your calcium intake is probably inadequate so you are a candidate for osteoporosis later in life. I would strongly urge you consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Go for expert help ASAP before it is too late.

2
Posted by: Another ex-bulimic | 2004/11/08

I had bulimia for about 7 years. I never went for professional help because I did not see it as a problem. One day I just realised that this is something I do not want to do for the rest of my life and my son is 22 months old. Believe me the temptation is still there on the odd occasion, especially when I know that I've eaten too much, but the harm you do to yourself is just not worth it. I've also got irritable bowl syndrome, so the damage you do to yourself on the inside just is not worth it. I got to a stage where I would eat, put my finger down my throat, eat again and so the vicious circle would continue, and in the end it is not worth it. You can eat anything you want, but in moderation, I know it is easier than said, but try. I am still unhappy about my weight (1.67m tall and weighs 56kg), but am trying to eat healthy instead of going back to the old ways. Good luck!

Reply to Another ex-bulimic
Posted by: ex-bulimic | 2004/11/08

Hi Lala,
Sorry to hear you are batteling to deal with you bulimia. I used to be bulimic about 11 years ago and went through the same process of seeing people for help etc (which didn't work), until one day I realised only I can help myself and how selfish I was being as I had so many people caring and preying for my health, so I made a huge effort to stop purging. Its very difficult but I got it under control, there are still times even up to this day, if I eat a lot or binge, I still am able to bring it up. In my case, I never had to stick my finger down my throat to get sick, it was more like a phycological force whereby I could will myself to get sick. Anyway, I have paid the price, I've had extreme dentistry done, I am 34 and have practically got none of my own teeth left, all crowns etc, I could have gone on a couple of overseas holidays on the amount that I have spent on my teeth. Plus I suffer with reflux an inflammed oesophagus, irritable bowl syndrome. I really stuffed my own body up and I am ever so sorry today for what I put myself and others through and for what, so I can look in the mirror and see bones and feel good? There more to life than being thin - I am by no means fat, I am still trim 48kg but I am so much happier and I really enjoy food and I've learnt food is not the enemy, just practice portion control and moderation and you can eat practically anything and not get fat. Believe me, I speak from experience. Believe in yourself and learn to love yourself and be stronger than your problem and you will conquer it.
Good luck. my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Reply to ex-bulimic