Question
Posted by: Kiri | 2004/10/09

Building a better body

Hi Doc!!

I'm currently 17 years and feeling the need for a better body! I have been gimming with my instructor without using any supplements or something like creatine.I want to get a bit of weight and some more body- and muscle mass, but being in a hostle, a Protein diet is not an option!!
I dont like the idea of creatine and therefor in my mind I am thinking about something like Protein Supreme, Mass Builder or so on.
Please give me some information about this, because I am actually clueless about what I should do!!

Hi Kiri

I am not a huge supporter of supplementation. Quite frankly, I don't see the need for it in just about all cases. Once in a while, there will be a situation, such as in a bodybuilder who is really going for huge muscle gains, where it is probably the only way to achieve the gains desired. However, i don't believe this is your situation. First, you are only 17 years old and have probably only been training for a few months at most. Therefore, i don't think that you have exhausted all your options. In these bodybuilders, they are training extremely hard and having to supplement their protein intake to see muscle gains. The training is absolutely vital, and without it, you will only succeed in getting fatter, and so the number one priority is to train well. diet is important and of course to bulk up, you have to increase protein intake, but I think that the first thing to do is train right and be patient. I think that over the next 2 or 3 years, your natural tendency will be to get bigger, you are still growing and so let the training do its thing.

That said, there is probably nothing harmful in increasing your protein intake by using milkshakes. As I said though, you just have to be very careful that you don't just increase your energy intake without training right. Remember that it's basically a meal that you are adding, and if you don't train right, you may as well be overeating, so just be cautious in that regard.