Question
Posted by: Bud | 2007/05/21

Budgies losing feathers

Could this be an underlining problem. Got them from a friend. Only give them budgie food and water. Could they be missing old home?

The change in diet and surroundings and season could be causing a moult. Can you see new feathers growing?

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/21

Feather loss can be caused by many things, not least mites or poor nutrition.

I'd agree with Carol - there's a lot of information out there - do a google on budgie diet, for starters - I think you'll find that budgies do better with a bit of fresh food added to their seed diet. Be careful, though - don't feed them food that may have been sprayed, or food that's too wet - don't do lettuce, it often gives them diarrhoea - carrot tops would be a good place to start, I think.

Budgies do moult, so a certain amount of feather loss isn't serious, but if it persists, or if they scratch a lot, or if they show any lesions on the visible bits of skin (legs, feet, cere, which is the bit above the beak) then find out what safe insecticide to use - be SURE to get one that's safe for birds!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/05/21

Could be boredom , could be diet, I know parrots quite well .... but not really budgies.

They should also bath regulalry ..... do a google search there is a lot of info

Reply to Carol