Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2004/12/09

bruising for no reason

I seem to be finding a lot of bruises on myself lately, and can not attribute them to any bumps or accidents. I have noticed that I seem to have a sharp pains (usually on a finger or toe joint) after which a large bruise will appear. could you give me an idea on what might be causing this?

Sarah, it might be that you suffer from purpura simplex. Purpura simplex or easy bruising is the most common vascular bleeding disorder and is characterised by increased bruising due to increased vascular fragility. It is more common in women and bruises develop without any history of trauma on the thighs, buttocks and upper arms. There is no history of other abnormal bleeding, but there might be family members suffering from the same problem. Sufferers have a normal full blood count and clotting profile, and no drugs seem to prevent it.
Purpura simplex is not serious, but making the wrong diagnosis is. My advice would be that you go for a good physical examination, have a full blood count, liver functions and a clotting profile done, and maybe avoid aspirin containing drugs (seldom a cause). Good luck.