Question
Posted by: Jemma | 2002/12/09

Bruising

Over the past couple of days/weeks I have noticed more and more that I have many bruises on my arms and legs. I became worried when other people started making comments about it and I suddenly realized how many purple bruises there are. I have read up on it and it seems as if it can be caused by a lack of platelets in my blood. However, I have cut myself by accident while shaving and the bleeding did not continue much longer than normally. What can this be a symptom of? Should I be worried about it? I have not recently been exposed to anything that could have caused these bruises.

Jemma, I suppose you have been to the doctor and he said everything was OK. If that is the case, it might be that you suffer from purpura simplex. Purpura simplex or easy bruising is the most common vascular bleeding disorder and is characterised by increased bruising due to increased vascular fragility. It is more common in women and bruises develop without any history of trauma on the thighs, buttocks and upper arms. There is no history of other abnormal bleeding, but there might be family members suffering from the same problem. Sufferers have a normal full blood count and clotting profile, and no drugs seem to prevent it.

Purpura simplex is not serious, but making the wrong diagnosis is. My advice would be that you go for a good physical examination, have a full blood count and a clotting profile done, and maybe avoid aspirin containing drugs (seldom a cause).