Posted by: blue | 2004/11/08


I was browsing the sight and read that you should contact a doctor if a bruise lasts more than 14 days? I bruise very easily - most times I have know idea how the bruise got there. And, sometimes my bruises last for weeks. Also my bruies never really go a "greeny" colour as mentioned, they seem to be blue/red and then a greyish colour. Once I had a bad knock to my shin and I had a bruise for about 3 months. Still to this day I get pains in my shin, especially in cold weather or if I jump off something onto hard ground. Should I have gone to a doctor?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Blue, it might also be due to purpura simplex. Purpura simplex or easy bruising is the most common vascular bleeding disorder and is characterised by increased bruising due to increased vascular fragility. It is more common in women and bruises develop without any history of trauma on the thighs, buttocks and upper arms. There is no history of other abnormal bleeding, but there might be family members suffering from the same problem. Sufferers have a normal full blood count and clotting profile, and no drugs seem to prevent it.
Purpura simplex is not serious, but making the wrong diagnosis is. My advice would be that you go for a good physical examination, have a full blood count and a clotting profile done, and maybe avoid aspirin containing drugs (seldom a cause). Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.