Question
Posted by: kea | 2007/08/21

bruise for ten months.

Dear Doc
Last year october I walked in a computer that was standing on the floor and gave myself a huge bruise. About the size of a R100 note. at the bottom of my leg. With this particular leg I have had a lot of problems with pain and throbbing from time to time. Only from the knee downwards. I had a venogram done and the doctor said it showed some of the valves in that leg were no longer working. He explained that the little valves in the veins were there to only allow the blood to flow in one direction and as some were now not working this was causing the pain etc. I still continue to have problems with this leg, but was wondering if the valves not working was reason that you can still see the bruise about half the size it was, but still there?. Do I just leave it?.

Dear Kea
You may have injured the small veins of the area causing blood to leak out into the surrounding tissue. Sometimes a dermatologist can reduce the mark with laser. The valves in the veins not working can cause varicose veins, sometimes on the surface of the leg, so that you can see them, but also sometimes deep inside. The reduced blood flow due to the sluggish movement of blood from the legs to the heart can cause pain as the leg builds up toxins and carbon dioxide. These veins can be removed and the leg then uses what we call collateral veins to re-direct the flow. However this should be done by a surgeon specializing in this kind of operation - usually a vascular surgeon or plastic surgeon. Wearing compression stockings usually also helps.
See http://vascular.co.za/Varicose.htm