Question
Posted by: Ricki | 2004/11/22

brown rice and red bull

Hello. I am dieting. My doctor said I must cut out starch and sugar foods. Does this include brown rice as well? I also dring 2 sugar free red bulls a day. Can I lose weight if i dring red bull or is it bad for your health?

Ricki

Dear Ricki
I don't agree with your dr that you should cut out all starch. The most successful diets in the long-term make use of unprocessed, unsifted or unrefined starches like brown rice and vegetables, all-bran, etc. By all means cut out finely processed starches like white flour, bread, rice, etc, and cakes and sweets, but don't cut out the valuable fibre-rich one like brown rice. I am not really in favour of products like red bull as they are loaded with caffeine which can cause a variety of side-effects is taken in excess.