Question
Posted by: Sister Act | 2004/01/23

Brother in law

I've got a relationship with my brother in law. My marriage is going through a rough time and he supported me very well and that lead to a relationship between us. My husband did a lot of things that caused me to loose my respect for him. I gave him a last chance the previous time but he is very rude to me, use me for money (basically I am his comfort zone) We've got a girl 4 years old. He had a quick relationship with another man (I'm not sure if its over) he's got a bad temper and only touch me when he had too much to drink. If he goes out to a club he will drink untill he pass out and brother in law must alway help to get him home. He can't protect me from other guys because of the drinking problem and my brother in law is always there to protect me. Is there any advise on what I must do because I've got a lot of respect for my brother in law and we love each other very much, but we know that what we are doing is wrong. What must I do?

Dear SA,
Yes, having an affair with your brother-in-law IS wrong, as you really know. And while his support and advice could be really helpful in sorting out your marriage problems ( as can marriage counselling, which I recommend ) --- an affair rarely brings happiness, and can turn a problem marriage which could be turned into a happier onw, into an insoluble one. Seek proper expert help in sorting things out, and ask your b-i-l to keep to the usual, kinds of family support, ending the affair.