Posted by: Max | 2009/07/21

Brother &  Wife need counseling

Hi Doctor,
After the birht of my brother' s little boy, his wife didn' t want anything to do with the baby, so he took over the roll as a father and the mother, now the child is 7 months old and want nothing to do with the so called mother, she keeps on telling my brother that he needs Physiological help. I think she needs it more than he does. Could you assist me in a centre where they could go for group counseling, (they stay in Johannesburg). I am just worried about the baby.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It's understandable if the mother reje ted the baby, that the baby will consider her a stranger. One should never just calmly accept that a mother emotionally or otherwise rejects her newborn child --- that is never normal, and indicates a potentially significant psychological problem, including perhaps PND, Post-natal Depression. Beyond possible doubt it is the mother who needs a shrink's help more than the child. FAMSA could suggest a family counsellor who the mother and child, plus father if possible, could see together. It is useful for the child to see a counsellor or shrink as part of the family, but obviouly at 7 months the potential for a shrink actively engaging with the child will be highly limited --- all the work to help the child would have to be done via the parents, anyway.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.