Question
Posted by: Gill | 2007/08/07

Bronchitis that wont go away

I have been rather ill since june. Went to the doctor and was diagnosed with post t-nasal drip, throat and ear infection. Went on anti-biotics. Two weeks later ended up at the doctor rather ill with acute bronchitis, and anti-biotics again. Another two weeks passed, and ended up with asthmatic bronchitis and on anti-boitocs again.. Its been three weeks now and my cough just wont go away. I am not asthmatic, but I use asthvent about two to three times a day, I struggle to breath in the evenings, and am permanently on cough medicine. Every time I took the anti-biotics I got better till about a day or two after the course finished, then started coughing again. I feel so short of breath, I can not even walk around the block or play with my son. The cough is a tight weezy cough with not a lot of phlegm coming out.
What should I do? I am wary of going back to the doctor, as the anti-biotics are not helping, and I am afraid of building up resistance. I also can not change doctors because I am on one of those cheap medical aids that limit the doctor you can see.

Dear Gill
I think at this point in time you probably need to have a chest x/ray and lung function test - ask the doctor to refer you to a pulmonologist or physician.