Posted by: Joanne | 2008/10/23

Bronchitis - cough won' t ease up

HI Doc
I had bronchitis 2 weeks ago and have since finished my antibiotics and am half way trhough my second boittle of cough mixture but the cough just won' t go away. It' s still quite strong and hurts me when i cough.
Is there soemthng else i can take to help it go away?
I don' t smoke and i can' t go back to the doc cause our medical aid is finished and he charges an arm and a leg!
Please help before my work collegues throw sometihng hard at my head!!!

Dear Joanne
You could try something like Benylin with codeien or Pholtex. If your chest is still wheezy, try something like Alcophyllex - follow instructions on the bottle otherwise you will get papitations. One can cough for a while after a bout of bronchitis due to hyper irritability of the airways. I.f over the counter medication does not help you may not have another choice but to go back to your Gp

Posted by: Helen | 2009/04/05

I am not getting better after contracting bronchitis over a month ago. I wake up every morning with a sore throat and thick feeling from my nose down my throat. I still cough up phlegm, have a sore chest and feel terrible. My doctor treated me with anti biotics and then with Singulair to free my airways. For the last week I have had a rash on the front sides of my neck and I just want to sleep all the time.
Please could I have some advice
Kind Regards

Reply to Helen
Posted by: Cindy | 2008/10/24

Perhaps you need another course of antibiotics. I had to take three courses of antibiotics because of bronchitis, I' m only better now after the third course. See your dr. again.

Reply to Cindy
Posted by: Olive | 2008/10/24

Dear Joanne

Try olive leaf extract, 20 drops every hour - it' s quite good. Not all pharmacies stock it, so try Dischem as I always find it there.

Good Luck!

Reply to Olive