Question
Posted by: Katie | 2007/08/13

Bronchitis and the heart

I'm 31 and have just been diagnosed with acute bronchitis for the 3rd time in less than 2 months. I can live with the pain and difficulty breathing, but I'm worried about my heart. After climbing just 3 steps it feels like my heart is beating uncontrollably. My Dr says I'm paranoid and must relax, but it’s difficult to do that when I can't even take a 5min shower without having to take a break. Am I just paranoid or can the constant sickness weaken my heart?

Dear Katie
Your heart beats fast because you are not getting enough oxygen with the infection in your lungs. If the infection spreads to the heart valves you can get heart damage but this is rare with bronchitis. Why are you getting infection so often, do you have underlying damage due to smoking or other diseases?