Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2007/05/14

Broken wrist/arm - Still swollen & painf

My dad (he is 63 years old & healthy) had an accident on 13th of March 2007. He underwent two operations. The cast came off Monday, 7th of May 2007 & they removed a metal tube. Apparently there's another metal tube + plate in his hand. Yesterday, 13th of May, I noticed that his arm is still very swollen - his fingers as well, they look like small bananas! He also complains about a pain in his shoulder and can't sleep during the night. Is this normal? Is there anything we can do to help him? Please advise.
Thank you!

Hi Samantha
He may have infection in the arm ¡V please let him go back for a check up. Also let him sleep with his arm elevated ¡V make a sling to support his upper arm with the lower arm 90 degrees up in the air and bind it with a piece of string to his bedpost or something or use pillows to elevate the hand . The pain in the shoulder could be due to the accident still and also need re-evaluation. He could also have strained the muscles around the shoulder due to the heavy cast he had to wear?