Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2007/03/20

Broken leg

I broke my leg just above the ankle, when I fell off my bicycle. It is in plaster for 6 weeks. How soon can I walk without crutches ( put my full weight on the leg)?
Can I exercise on a trainer or spinning bicycle during the 6 weeks or how long should I wait before cycling again?

Thanx
Liezl

Expert ImageArchive

Once the plaster has been removed you would need to being with partial weight-bearing on the injured leg for at least two weeks (walking with one crutch) and only once you are able to do so completely pain free should you begin walking without your crutches. However, I strongly advise that you should first speak with the doctor who put you in the cast as it is extremely important to find out whether the bone has healed completely before you put any weight on it (the doctor may suggest the use of a air-brace for example). As for being able to exercise on bicycle, this would be ok as you could do so with the plaster on, but remember to keep the loads very light.

But most importantly, seek the advise of your doctor.

All the best for your recovery!