Question
Posted by: G | 2008/01/30

broken left collar bone

i broke my collar bone on the 19 Jan and my left arm has been a sling since. It a 'green twigg break' broken in one place but still touching. the pain is gone and i still have 5 more weeks left in the sling. I fly out on Sat - is this too soon to fly? Are there are concerns with long flight and fractured bones?

Also, I have the 'popping' sensation - very slight - when moving my shoulder - is this normal?

Should I be taking extra care in posture or or holding my shoulder a certain to ensure a 'better' rexcovery?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear G
Only your doctor will be able to answer this as he needs to decide whether the bones have started forming a callous which would indicate that it is healing. I think the normal precautions one takes on a long haul flight would suffice as you have not broken a lower limb- therefore move around as much as the flight allows and do your stretching exercises in the plane. The popping sensation I'm not too sure about as I don't know what caused you fracture. I think the important thing to find out is whether this fracture is busy healing.