Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2006/10/27

broken foot and no bone formation

I broke the 5th metatarsal of my foot 4 months ago. Xrays show no bone formation and it remains painful to walk with a foot in this condition everyday because I stand a lot in my job. I have seen 2 orthopaedic surgeons but they think that I should give time and I it will get better. I am almost 60 years old. I bought Osteoease but my joints became even more painful. I use one Caltrate calcium tablet per day. Is Dolmite advisable because I have heard that it is harmful to the sytem. What is best for bone formation and keeping bones healthy?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Jenna
A foot is something that takes a long time to heal because we put all our weight on it. The best is obviously to keep it rested, but this is not always possible. A healthy diet containing sufficient protein, vitamins and minerals will help with healing process.
Regarding the osteoarthritis- supplements like Osteo-eaze does not always ease joint pains, but you also need to take it for a certain amount of time before it starts working. Caltrate is a good calcium supplement. Dolomite may contain lead particles, that is why it is not recommended as a calcium supplement.