Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2004/10/06

Broken fibula leaving me helpless

I have a spiral fracture of my fibula and have been in a short leg cast since last wednesday. I am unable to get around, drive, look after my daughter. The receptionist at my Orthopaedic surgeons office tells me it will cost about R1000 for a lighter cast. I'd like to know if this is fair and if I will actually have any more mobility?

Expert ImageArchive

There are lighter casts available on the market that certainly allow for greater ease of movement. They are lighter and therefore require less energy to move around. It should give you the stability that you need, but will also promote healing as you move further and further into weight bearing. For instance, Medac makes a short leg cast that is considerably lighter and supports the leg by way of air-filled pockets. It is aptly named the FoamWalker and runs at about R950 to R1000 depending on where you purchase it. So the original quote was indeed correct.

1
Posted by: Natsters | 2004/10/26

I also broke my fibula last wednesday andI can relate to the frustration with not being able to do anything! I am an Aerobic Instructor so am use to being very active and the not being able to get around is driving me nuts.. Any information on how to help speed up the recovery would be most appreciated!

Reply to Natsters