Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2004/09/23

Broken Capillaries

Hi.
I am just wondering if too much of gyming can cause broken capillaries / spider veins on the legs ?

Hi Cindy

As far as I know, and I am not a medical doctor, the causes of varicose and spider veins are not entirely understood. In some instances, the absence or weakness of valves in the veins, which prevent the backward flow of blood away from the heart, may cause the poor circulation. In other cases, weaknesses in the vein walls may cause the pooling of the blood. Less commonly, varicose veins are caused by such diseases as phlebitis (inflammation of the veins) or congenital abnormalities of the veinsand this is more of a medical question. I know that exercise is in fact recommend very often to help PREVENT the development of spider veins, and I think this refers to gym training such as walking, cycling etc. I am not sure what weight training would do. If the cause is pooling of blood and weakened veins, then it is possible that with weight training the increase in blood pressure may put more strain on possibly already weak veins (if you are predisposed to the condition). However, I don't think that regular exercise in moderation would be a cause, but again, perhaps a doctor is better able to advise on this one