Question
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/04/12

Broken??

I was playing with my doggie the other day and as I was running to the room I bumped my left foot agains the corner of the couch. My little toe is fine, but the one next to it, oh man, pain pain pain!!!!!! This happened 10 days ago. I went to the Pharmacist the next day and he said he couldn't tell for sure, but he did not think it is broken. It was very swollen, even the top of my foot was puffy, so he bandaged it, told me to keep it like that for about 3 or 4 days and it should be fine. About 3 days ago I started noticing that my toe was quite red and puffy. It also seems a bit scew, leaning more towards the right. When I put my hand over my toes that one feels a little warmer than the other.

I do realise it could be inflamed. Is there anything I can get over the counter? Is it possible that it is broken? I hope not, because I heard that they put a pin in your toe to keep it straight. NO THANK YOU!!!! I dont have medical aid and going to the Dr is going to be a R190 consultation, then I will have to go to another Dr, I just dont have the extra money.

Please advise.

Hi Sindi
Your toe may be dislocated - maybe you should go to a provincial hospital emergency room so that they could take an x/ray and see if you need to see a specialist - they don't always put a pin in, but sometimes you need a bit of local anaesthetic so they can pull it straight again and bandage it to the toe next to it to grow on again.. Eina! If you leave it and it is broken, it may grow on skew and cause severe corns and callouses in the future, making it difficult to find shoes etc.

1
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/04/16

Dear Doc.

Thank you for your reply.

Ouch, seems like I am in for quite a treat. heheh Thank you again for your advice.

Take care,

Sindi

Reply to Sindi