Question
Posted by: Eugene | 2005/07/13

Brocken rib

I am currently in thailand as a professional Muay Thai fighter. I sufferd my first brocken rib from my last fight. It is my second rib from the bottom and does not hurt when I breath. It hurts when I twist my body or lie on my back and any pressure on the area causes pain. How long should I allow for it to recover. Can I do basic exercises to try and maintain my fitness level while it is recovering. How long do I have to lay off fighting? Thank you for your time!

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Eugene

Your obliques abdominal muscles are attached to your lower ribs and are probably what is causing the pain when you twist (the obliques contract to make you twist your torso). You should not do any exercise that causes you pain. It is hard to say how long you will be off exercise, as I do not know what type of rib fracture it is or how severe the fracture is. However, simple fractures heal within 3 to 4 weeks. Carry on with exercises that do not hurt, especially cardiovascular exercise to keep your fitness. If running hurts, rather cycle or row. It may be a good idea to get a rib brace to offer the rib cage support and comfort during exercising. Carry on doing mild abdominal exercises that do not involve twisting, to maintain your abdominal muscle tone. Spend this time improving your leg and arm strength, and try to avoid high kicks and contact. Best of all, try find a sports rehabilitation specialist who can help you recover from your injury, while maintaining as much physical fitness as is possible at the same time.